Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thoughtful Gifts

Yesterday was my birthday.

I honestly did not take much notice in anticipation of the day. I hazily noted a Wednesday or so, nestled in around a few volleyball games, basketball and gymnastic practices, fast food work schedules, and some other weekly events. I don't need anyone to fuss over the day... but the kids sure do enjoy a party, and all you really need for that is something with a candle in it. I think that when "Potty Parties" are regular occurrences, kids just are wired for celebrations of any kind.

Then my mom shared with me that the date would be 09-09-09. How cool is that? And, I would be turning 45 (the sum of which is 9). To top it all off, I would be celebrating with my 9 children.

She encouraged me to buy a lottery ticket.

Well, I must share that I won, and big. No, not with a lottery ticket, but with an outpouring of love and good wishes all day long.

The day started with most of my family rushing out the door, but left behind was a beautiful card (which, Dear Reader, I delighted in... rather than fret over the money spent on it). The card was nestled amongst 10, yes TEN, lavender plants to spruce up my backyard. After I stuck my nose in them and took in the heavenly smell, I texted my husband, "wowowowowowowow!" He replied, "Any more surprises?"

A few hours later, my oldest son easily got out of bed (now THAT is a perfect gift for this mom), and said he would join me taking the kids on some errands. He helped me load them all up in car seats and boosters and seat belts, and we made sure everyone had on two shoes. He asked if I had CDs in the car, which I absolutely do not. The speakers are so awful that I actually CRINGE listening to any music on them. Besides, The Big White Van can't play CDs. It's ultra antiquated, outfitted with a cassette player that has a nickel in it and won't play anything except "clicking". Clicking, on bad speakers. I would rather have morning sickness.

I was a little amused that he hopped into the driver's seat of MY van, I guess intending to chauffeur me around. When he put the key in and turned the ignition, my ears, I knew, were playing tricks on me. Sting! (the musician). Booming! SOUNDING AWESOME! It took a moment to realize that not only did I have a cd playing stereo, there were new speakers installed as well!

We headed up Route 66. Over my left shoulder, all I could see were a few tossled hair inches of five little heads bobbing to the bass beat. Can you imagine being so deeply delighted that you were moved to tears? No, it wasn't just the music... it was the incredible thoughtfulness and efforts that went into celebrating me and the things that give me joy. Wow.

There was a feast of a dinner later, and angel food cake heaped in whipped cream and fresh raspberries. And then my children spilled the beans about the ways they were involved in the surprises of the day, including the flat tire, that wasn't. And there were phone calls and greeting cards and pop-in visits from friends. There were Facebook Birthday Wishes and text messages too. In fact, the whole day was just showered in thoughtful people who shared that they were thinking of me and went out of their way to tell me so.

Even better than winning mega-millions, by the day's end I felt like the richest woman on the face of the earth.
What a delight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

kelly, i was telling my nerdy teacher next-door-neighbor about your 9-9-09 birthday when you turned 45 (sum of 4+5= 9), and how you had 9 kids... he said that ALSO it was the 252nd day of the year (in which the sum of 2+5+2= 9)

can you stand it???????

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

It just got better as the day went on. I heard of all kinds of nine combinations. The best was the new baby boy born in Wisconsin at 9:09 and he weighed of course, 9lbs, 9oz. That was on the news at 10.

So glad you had such a WONDERFUL day.

Love ya.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Kelly, you really have a gift of seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary! Thank you for writing!

Linda