Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Parable

Dedicated to all those who help, who love.


Once upon a time there was a little bitty boy born to very wealthy parents, whose wealth, in its entirety, was made up of love and their treasure of 8 children. This little boy was given a funny little name and welcomed into the numerous arms of his family members.

The baby was sweet and showed great promise of someday growing into his huge hands. But on the 14th day of his life, baby Finan struggled.

The doctor with the big smile and bigger shoulders said, "Oh how I love this baby. But we need to call for help." An ambulance whisked him from his doctor's little rural office to the hospital in the big city.

The sirens announced his arrival and the nurses scurried to prepare a room. The doctor with the serious eyebrows said, "I just don't know what to do for this little baby with the funny name. I am calling for help."

Help came with big propellers and a flight team. They scooped up the wires and monitors and gently placed the baby in a very special box that was like a car seat for the clouds. The mommy's tears tumbled down her cheeks when she had to say goodbye to her baby. The mommy and daddy held each other outside as they watched the helicopter hover above the hospital and then thrust into the skies.

The mommy and daddy thought the baby arrived all alone at the new bigger hospital. But, a Servant In Black with a fuzzy face was already waiting there. Together they asked The Father, "Please let Your Good be shown in all of this."

The hours turned into days turned into weeks. Many doctors and many nurses took care of baby Finan. They had expert hands and trained eyes, but few answers. There was no one else to ask for help. The pacing doctor with the thinking face and thick words said, "We wait. You pray." A sweet Cookie sang to the baby and cried with the mommy. In the dark and quiet of the hospital nights, nurse Priscilla the Cinderella prayed too.


"Take him home," said Dr. Cross. "There's nothing else we can do for him here."

One day a special package arrived in the mail. Inside was a big blue shirt with red letters. On a card with a picture of a helicopter was written "Sorry we didn't have a smaller size! We hope Finan is doing better. Best wishes, your Flight Crew."

Some of the mommy's tears fell on the blue shirt with red letters, for she held in her hands a reminder that her baby might never grow to wear this gift. But she was deeply touched by the kindness of these strangers, humbled by the all the Love that was coming from all over the world. So, the mommy carefully packed away that blue shirt, and then tended to the needs of the people in her busy home.

Time passed, but not without a few miracles.
That baby did get better, and he's still growing into his hands.
And the mommy has not forgotten.


"Remember where your treasure is,
there your heart is also."
Matthew 6:21





11 comments:

Raising6inNM said...

JOYOUS TEARS!!

Unknown said...

I'm crying at work, boss asked if I was ok. Had to share your story. Thanks so much for the wonderful stories. I hope to return the gift you give us in a few months for a gift for you. XO

Anonymous said...

I am brimming with tears. This little guy still gives me pause as I stare at him in wonder. All those long months and unanswered questions and AMAZING prayerful moments are all wrapped up in that bundle of energy with big hands and funny name.

hollystribe said...

Kelly, that was beautiful!!! I'm still crying!

Anonymous said...

God has something very special in mind for this little boy with the funny name and big hands. For him to pull through all these difficulties and continue to light up the world with his smile and wit is truly remarkable. I can't believe the shirt fits! I remember the day it came as none of us could stop crying long enough to emagine any future for him. Truly our God is so good to answer all our prayers for Finan's complete recovery.
Thank you for "The Parable", Mom. I needed it to heal also, because I still shudder thinking of all that he went through.

Love,
Mom

jan whitten said...

What a story of love, faith, trust, abandonment, community,... I'm sure his flight crew will enjoy seeing how the shirt fits! Praise God Always! xojanxo

Anonymous said...

The miracle of Finan - and all of your other little miracles - have already touched so many lives. There is so much more good things ahead. I praise God that there are people like you and your family who remind those of us with cold hearts, closed minds, and unhearing ears how to be open to God's Love & Mercy no matter what happens to you in this life. I can't wait to see what happens next! God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't comment when I first read this and I still don't quite know what to say now that I have read it countless times...I love you Finan!
Auntie M

Anonymous said...

Amazing....written by a very special MOMMY!

Anonymous said...

You have a truly blessed family, and Finan is truly blest and meant for something grand in his future. I am so glad you are in my life - you are a remarkable family full of love, faith, strength and so much happiness! I never knew the story of Finan until I read this, I knew he was sick but never knew how sick.

Love you all!

Val

Meaghan said...

Beautiful, Kelly.