Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Shape of My Heart

There was a time in the midst of my knee-deep childrearing years that I lost who I was. Like many other moms of small children, I would enter the survival mode, hunker down in the trenches, and wait out the storms. I didn't know I liked lavender.

I remember a specific turning point when I had come up for air and tried to number the things that gave me joy. In my stupor, I had to resort to asking the One Who Knows Me Best, "Kel, what do I like?" He actually came up with a decent list, which reminded me of a few other things, and this set me on the right path to being attentive again. And without my asking, he built me a really big swing in my backyard, because the height, and the pendulum, and the breeze, and the tickle give me joy. When he installed rock speakers outside and I could listen to Sting, well, that sent me over the moon.

The trick I've found to being open to joy is just being in the present. Children are especially skilled at this. The walk to the park is not just about getting to the park; it's about how many bugs can be found along the way. Children see alphabet letters in their macaroni, and they appreciate the dinosaur shaped clouds. They are excellent teachers about the importance of laughing out loud, dancing to music that moves you, and delighting in little clever surprises.

Delighting is a "no strings attached" gift which I make room to embrace. It allows me to appreciate the richness of my life and the depth of gratitude in my heart. My capacity to love, and be generous, is then increased. In fact, Delighting makes me light-hearted... all because I am willing to pay attention.

To this end, I've realized I like to have in my life a little awe, and cleverness, and music too. I like to watch the gifts of passionate and talented people. I like my heart to be shaped as a result. And that is why THIS delighted me:

Shape of my heart
(click here)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Raising6inNM said...

Really really neat, Kelly! I hope that millions of mothers read this and click the link, then remember to "delight" as our children gather around us to watch the card trick...even if we're listening to the song so carefully that we have to fake it at the end when the kids are going "WOW MOM WE SHOULD LEARN HOW TO DO THAT!" and "yeah mom that was cool can we have a sandwich now..." THANKS FOR WRITING.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the simplicity of your message...I love it!!! Linda