Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chef BoyRdee

I kind of like to cook. I like to plan meals, purchase ingredients, fret and stew all day, and that goes for the food too. It's better when it's just me working in the kitchen until extra hands are needed for rolling out pie crust, kneading bread dough, or tossing a salad. Then I love being surrounded by a whole bunch of biological family and chosen family. We'll have wine, several carafes of coffee, appetizers, and a big meal followed by a wonderful dessert. This typically occurs on a Sunday when...

Okay, okay. I give. Really, that's admittedly romantic. It presupposes that I can devote that much attention to a particular task without distraction. It's based on an assumption that we have more in the pantry than pinto beans and peanut butter. Even more realistic, it presumes that the laundry is done, and that you can walk through the front door without having to use a shovel at the shoe pile.

My Monday through Friday routine is also hardly romantic. Each day is a an endless loop of Plan the food, Prepare the food, Serve the food, Clean-up the food, and roll my eyes at the "I'm hungry agains". And my clientele is such that their taste buds are not developed, and they don't want their food to touch.

So when dinner rolls around, I'm out of ideas unless it involves peanut butter. If a hunk of protein isn't thawing on the counter by 9 am, chances are we're having pancakes for dinner, and Kel is mixing the batter. I've been known to make several decent crock-pot meals, but again, that requires preparedness and a plan. I might get as far as having pulled something freezer-burned out of the basement, but Kel usually has to pull something edible out of the pot.

This is actually a great metaphor of our personalities. He's got a knack for throwing things together that inevitably come out wonderful. He can locate a few remote ingredients in the fridge and pantry, and pull together a dinner good enough for unexpected interlopers, usually of the teenage variety and hungry like a wolf. He cooks like his Grandma Mert used to cook: with every pot, pan, spatula, ladle, spoon, measuring cup, and mixing bowl within arm's reach (and he's got long arms). The place is a disaster. He doesn't even start with a clean sink full of warm sudsy water. He ransacks the clean dishes in the dishwasher, and he also uses specialized cookware for unspecified uses. Is it really worth it to pull out the blender and all the pieces for it? and the Kitchen Aide? and the Cuisinart food processor?

It's just like the man to love power tools.

But, I shall not complain. I better not complain. The natives are restless.... and hungry. And we're out of peanut butter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

we sisters are so alike!
michelle

Anonymous said...

I've never had a bad meal from this kitchen.....even the peanut butter is delicious!!!!

you can call me al said...

Sounds like our kitchen!---as I nodded my head continuously while reading :)

Jim said...

I'm guessing that if he actually were cooking in the spirit of Grandma Mert, the measuring cups would never be touched, unless like here in Italy as a good way to keep the littlest ones busy with a bowl of water until they are actually old enough to participate for real (which has already been a while, as in a year or so, even for the five year-old - breading and such).

Here most of the cookbooks don't have specific quantities, and the spoonfuls and cupfuls are related to what you have in the cutlery drawer or china cabinet. Literally. You adjust quickly. Hardly any reference to MG or ML or CC or such, unless it happens to be translated from English...

But the sense of improvisation seems fully European, so I do appreciate it. Even if it is I also in my household that "whip up" something from nothing, or almost, compared to my wife, who looks for the recipes to follow religiously from the women's magazines.

Not for nuttin' that I listed the Frugal Gourmet as one of my 15 books which have "stuck" with me...

Anonymous said...

..and that is exactly like it is in Kel's kitchen! Last week I worked by his side as he made some poppers that were grown in his garden. We could hardly breathe as he prepared those puppies, and he used every appliance in the kitchen! When finished,they burned your toenails off!! M-I-L

Anonymous said...

Hey, I don't use everything! Measuring cups I hardly ever touch, measuring spoons are non existent, and I don't know what some of those silly things in the drawer are- Kelly calls it a garlic press, or something like that. Precision is not a part of any kitchen routine I am a part of. As for 12 different knives and four different power appliance-if you have them why not use them? As long as I have olive oil and some salt and pepper we will have something to feed the masses. And much like Grandma Myrt, Grandpa K. had the right idea as stated in one of his favorite recipes "if making this bread when it is cool outside start it before bed the night before." how is that for precision.

Your DH, alias Chef BoyRdee

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I have brisket in the oven. Gave orders to Gabriel and he popped it in. I will then make rice and a frozen veggie stir fry of sorts... my favorite side dish.
sylina