Saturday, July 24, 2010

Vacation Adventures

So who was I kidding when I thought I would write something “cheerful” everyday?

(Not that I couldn’t…there has been plenty of cheerfulness around here, as well as a few great stories. But with baseball and softball and play practice, leadership camps, tumbling nationals, and, For Pete’s Sake, NINE kids, who has the time?)

I’ll just jump in, instead, where I am…. which is at mile marker 138 on Interstate 70 heading into Zanesville, Ohio. This is not a final destination but the interim spot. And Finan is, (and I quote), “so so SO excited Dad!!” (The kid can’t wait to get out of a seat belted booster and into a swim suit!)

We are on a family vacation, short one child but long on a girlfriend… and we hope she still likes us after this adventure. After all, this is a lot of “togetherness” going on, with our overstuffed duffel bags and economized eating plans.

But there are plenty of laughs to go around, and I’m glad we’re sharing it.

In fact, we were sharing what we have to look forward to when Finan made his interjection about swimming soon. Merryn is keeping track of the state capitols we see. Andy is itching to spend the $10 he received from kindergarten graduation. And Ally can’t WAIT for …. Mountains? Museums? Metropolitan sites? No, Ally can’t wait for the hotel breakfast tomorrow morning.  “I love hotel breakfasts!” she says, with her salivary glands visibly overworking.

“Well,” I say, “I sure hope it’s nothing like your continental breakfast at that Daytona Beach hotel!”

Kel can’t contain his laugh. “Who would ever think to serve coffee and Twinkies and call it breakfast?”

I wasn't surprised to hear there were no complaints from the Krenz girls who had joined him. Their only concern was making sure they weren’t stealing Twinkies on display for hotel guests.

Personally, I’m hoping for omelets tomorrow. It may be my last warm meal for a week!

(Stay tuned for more Vacation Adventures… permitting Wi-Fi access).  Oh, this little bitty notebook computer could be a lot of fun!

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Can't wait for the next vacation update!

MaryAnn said...

This is bringing back memories of our family trips when I was very young! There were only 8 of us but we were in a car with 4 in the front and 4 in the back! (no car seats or seat belts then!)