Wednesday, November 18, 2009

(Un)Frozen Dinners

My daughter's friends were visiting in the midst of a dinner preparation. I think we were having stir-fry or something, and the counter was cluttered with veggies to be cut, and salad to be chopped.

One of the girls exclaimed, "Your family eats so organic!" and I just laughed.  We are far from that. I don't exclusively buy food specifically labeled as organic... I don't go out of my way to shop in specialty stores... I can't incur the expense of higher priced foods labeled as organic... How in the world could she perceive us as organic eaters?

"Well," she said, "you make your own food!"

And then it dawned on me.... she was referring to the fact that we buy very little pre-packaged and processed foods. (And we eat a lot of fresh salads).

This made me appreciate that we are really giving our kids a gift in making our own meals!  Further, they acquire knowledge and skills when they assist us, and their confidence in working in the kitchen grows too.

 And here I thought I was just saving money....

No comments: