Saturday, July 11, 2009

Negotiating for Candy

We have a 15 passenger van, because, well, we need it to transport our family. And, being in such close quarters for any length of time can provide ample writing topics that can come from just listening in to conversations like the exchange below:

Maddie: Mooooommmm! Why does Kieran get the last
Smarties? Why can't I have more Smarties?
Kieran: Because I'm 13 now.
Maddie: Well, I'm sixteen.
Kieran: No you're not! You're eleven.
Maddie: Well, I'm GOING to be sixteen.
Kieran: Well, I'm going to be 40.
Maddie: And I'm going to be 90.
Kieran: And I'm going to be dead!
Maddie: Then I can have your Smarties!
Kieran: No you can't! I'll be in heaven!
Maddie: No you won't! You'll be in Portugal.
Kieran: (***pause***) Portugal? PORTUGAL? Oh! You mean Purgatory!
Maddie: Yea. Whatever. You should share your Smarties and stay out of Portugal.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If I was you, the only thing I would have been able to is laugh! I had tears on that one. Oh I love your kids to pieces and I'm not lieing. ;)
Holly